Student Blogs - Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley - Carnegie Mellon University

Student Blogs

MS in Software Engineering, Technical Track Blog

Wondering if a Carnegie Mellon degree is right for you? Read about our students' experiences through the MS in Software Engineering, Technical Track program.

Rahul is a full-time MS Software Engineering, Technical Track student. He loves traveling, trekking, swimming and is a complete movie buff.
Anthony is a 2nd year part time student in the MS Software Engineering, Technical track program and works at OSIsoft as a Software Engineer. He loves spending time with his family, hiking, biking, gardening, cooking, and sometimes photography.
Suma is an alumna of the MS Software Engineering, Technical Track program. A Mechanical Engineering undergrad, she loves writing and is passionate about music, shopping and dogs.
Minh is a Software Design Engineer at Microsoft and alumnus of the MS Software Engineering program. He is also a Vietnamese community activist, a cat-lover and passionate fan of film music.
Nick is a Software Engineer at Google and a first-year grad student at Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley. He loves hiking, gaming, and both really extremely good and extremely bad movies.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Orientation 2009




Hi, I'm Anthony, and I just started at Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley as a part-time MS Software Engineering student! I'm in the Technical track of this two-year program, and can't believe the semester has officially started! After finally adjusting to life as a working - college student (again). The days have been long, and the nights have been even longer. I often wonder if I still have what it takes to "carry that weight" of school, work, and family; and I guess I have yet to find out. I think I finally can make time to write up this blog.

As a part time student, I only take one class at a time (in 7 week intervals), the semester, it's Software Foundations. On my first day of class, I was pretty surprised at the setup -- the video cameras and remote campus setup was quite amazing. There is even a push-to-talk microphone on the desk, and if you press it, the video camera in the room would adjust, zoom in, and focus to your position; I thought this was quite neat. Whether or not this really helps a person learn or not, I am not sure (I guess having a video camera in the room discourages sleeping); however it hits home something that I felt from Carnegie Mellon from the start, that they really aim to inspire and innovate.

I saw and felt this pretty clear in the three day orientation we had before classes, three days to meet and get to know your future professors, classmates, and also other faculty.

The three day orientation was quite interesting (though I would have to admit that by the end of every orientation day, I was dead tired). I think everyone likes to talk about the LEGO castle building activity (and why not?), but I thought the public speaking 101 was the most interesting activity done. The task was simple : to take a childrens book and read it to a particular audience with a given time constraint. I found the time to talk to faculty and professors on a person to person (rather than student to teacher) level quite refreshing. It made me feel like Carnegie Mellon was a school I wanted to be a part of, rather than just attend.

That's all I have to say now. With the full swing of the semester about to start, let's hope I have time in between school, work, and family to write on this blog. Thanks for reading!

posted by Anthony Tang @ 3:14 PM 

1 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

The good thing about your information is that it is explicit enough for students to grasp. Thanks for your efforts in spreading academic knowledge.
---------------------------------
Dissertation Writing Help

February 20, 2010 at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts