Student Blogs - Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley - Carnegie Mellon University

Student Blogs

MS in Software Engineering, Technical Track Blog

Wondering if a Carnegie Mellon degree is right for you? Read about our students' experiences through the MS in Software Engineering, Technical Track program.

Rahul is a full-time MS Software Engineering, Technical Track student. He loves traveling, trekking, swimming and is a complete movie buff.
Anthony is a 2nd year part time student in the MS Software Engineering, Technical track program and works at OSIsoft as a Software Engineer. He loves spending time with his family, hiking, biking, gardening, cooking, and sometimes photography.
Suma is an alumna of the MS Software Engineering, Technical Track program. A Mechanical Engineering undergrad, she loves writing and is passionate about music, shopping and dogs.
Minh is a Software Design Engineer at Microsoft and alumnus of the MS Software Engineering program. He is also a Vietnamese community activist, a cat-lover and passionate fan of film music.
Nick is a Software Engineer at Google and a first-year grad student at Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley. He loves hiking, gaming, and both really extremely good and extremely bad movies.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Introducing Rahul Baxi


Hi, I am Rahul Baxi, a full time MS SE-Technical track student. I joined CMU in Aug 2010 and as I am writing this blog I am halfway through my first quarter. Yes, this program is very fast paced and gives no time to settle down. But at the same time it makes you “industry ready” to face the challenges of a very dynamic IT world. Before I dig further into the details of the MS in SE program, let me give you a quick introduction of myself.

I am from India where I did my Bachelors in Information Technology Engineering from Nirma University and then worked with Infosys Technologies Ltd. as a Software Engineer for two years. I am an avid traveler, love to hike, swim and trek, watch movies and listen to music. My areas of interests are Web development, network programming, embedded systems and application programming. Well, that’s pretty much about me and I feel I should get this topic back to where I started first.

The MS in SE is a 1-year program, which is divided into three semesters, each lasting around four months. The program is well designed with robust coursework that would aid students in honing their skills in Software Engineering. The faculty and other staff are very friendly and eager to help. Moreover, CMU invites experts from the industry to deliver seminars on latest technology trends. In all, it’s an extremely exuberant education environment.

I had quite an exciting summer as I had left my job and was at home doing nothing for almost a month. I visited family and friends during this break and then set off to USA. I came to New York just a week before my orientation program. I teamed up with one of my friends for a cross-country road trip from Georgia to California. With a month full of rest and enjoyment I was all set for starting my masters program.

My first semester at CMU started with a fun filled yet informative four days orientation program wherein I got a brief introduction of the program and the coursework from different faculty members and also I got the opportunity to meet new people. Classes commenced immediately after the orientation program with assignments due on the same weekend. Within the next two weeks, I had my hands laid on an entirely new technology. With regular team meetings and collaborating work with team members on weekly deliverables, I never felt like I’ve enrolled in a MS program but it gave me the feeling of working in a software company.

posted by Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley @ 10:52 AM 

10 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rahul,
Congratulations on getting to be a part of this esteemed institution. My Name is Mohit Choudhary, and Iam an undergraduate student in NY. I will be applying to MS in Se technical track just like you did. I would be really grateful to you if you could discuss and answer some small queries I have regarding the program and the admissions procedure. I see that blog might not be a good place so my email is : mohit(dot)choudhary(dot)pro(at_the_rate)hotmail(dot)com

Looking forward to hearing from you.

October 10, 2010 at 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rahul,
Congratulations on getting to be a part of this esteemed institution. My Name is Mohit Choudhary, and Iam an undergraduate student in NY. I will be applying to MS in Se technical track just like you did. I would be really grateful to you if you could discuss and answer some small queries I have regarding the program and the admissions procedure. I see that blog might not be a good place so my email is : mohit(dot)choudhary(dot)pro(at_the_rate)hotmail(dot)com

Looking forward to hearing from you.

October 10, 2010 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger puneet said...

Congratulations on your success. My name is Puneet Chandra and I am looking forward to apply for MS in SE technical track, and would appreciate if you can answer some of my queries.
My mail ID is - puneetchandra007(at_the_rate)gmail(dot)com
I look forward to hearing from you.

March 14, 2011 at 2:08 AM  
Blogger wanttoflyhigh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger karuna said...

Hi Rahul,
Good to see your blog! Like everyone else I would also like to congratulate you for being a part of CMU. I did my bachelors in computer science from India from JNT University. Did internship at CMC Pvt Ltd(A part of Tata Consultancy). Worked in a start-up and Wipro Technologies for 2years post bachelors. I am currently residing in Bay Area. Planning to apply for the coming fall admissions for full-time SE. I would be grateful to you if you can squeeze out sometime to help me with improving upon my current profile understanding the coursework,student life,On campus job opportunities etc. My e-mail id is 'karunabandhakavi@gmail.com'. Thanks again!

October 8, 2011 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger BARSTOW said...

Hi Raul,
I have a few questions for you in regards to finding software engineers that are looking for partnerships in a startup. If you can, please email me at dewill0613@gmail.com. Thank you for your time.

December 5, 2011 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Prinson said...

Hi Rahul,

I am Prinson. I just got an admit for MS in Software Management. Need your inputs on the same.

My mail id is prinson99@gmail.com

Thanks

March 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Prinson said...

Hi Rahul,

I am Prinson. I just got an admit for MS in Software Management. Need your inputs on the same.

My mail id is prinson99@gmail.com

Thanks

March 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger AnirudhBhargava7 said...

Hello Rahul

My name is Anirudh Bhargava. I am from India and have completed my Bachelors in 2012. I got an admit in SE Full time Technical Track. I wanted to ask some queries regarding the program. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

My mail is anirudhbhargava7@gmail.com

March 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Madaan said...

Hello Rahul

My name is Aashima Madaan. I am from India and have completed my Bachelors in 2011. I got an admit in SE Full time Technical Track. I wanted to ask some queries regarding the program. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

My mail is aashima2madaan@gmail.com

April 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts